HOW TO PROMOTE MASS MEDIA? CHECKLIST
A set of checklists for SEO specialists, journalists, editors, programmers, designers, and project managers that will help you increase organic traffic many times over.
THE ROLE OF SEO IN THE OVERALL TRAFFIC STRUCTURE
If you take the TOP 100 media sites in terms of total coverage of Yandex. Radar service and traffic source analysis using SimilarWeb, you can chart the importance of attraction channels (news aggregators are excluded from the sample).
The sources for the diagram are described below. The research share is 18%. The smallest segment (0.16%) is display advertising
Direct- direct access to the site itself. Referral traffic – clicks on links, for example, from Yandex.Yandex. news and Zen. Search – search engine traffic, includes contextual advertising, but its share for media is less than 0.1%. Social networks – social networks, including YouTube. E-mail – visits from mailing lists. Media – traffic from banners and other online media.
Interestingly, the list contains resources for which the search traffic share significantly exceeds the sample mean value. Let’s say that for kp.ru the share of SEO traffic is 39% (29 million sessions per month), which is more than the absolute number of users from the search of more venerable competitors – ria.ru, Gazeta .ru, lenta.ru, and all other related sites. For aif.ru, the share is 37% (more than 13 million per month). Y vc.ru by the way, the percentage is also nothing – 36.5.
A significant portion of organic traffic from prepared sites indicates huge potential for other media outlets that have yet to learn how to use SEO effectively. Why?
Let’s get this straight.
- Technical optimization.
- A competent structure.
- General requirements.
- Work with search queries (semantics).
- Content of articles / texts.
- External links.
- Behavioral factors.
- UGC (work with personalized content).
SEO GIVES US 18% OF THE TRAFFIC, AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN ALL 40%
To activate the organic traffic channel and attract ten million additional sessions per month, authors and publishers need to consider several requirements. search engine optimization. The ground prepared for this is no less important in the form of technical optimization and a competent structure.
FUNNEL TO ATTRACT SEARCH TRAFFIC For the user to access the site, you have to go through 7 circles of hell (in fact, only 5).
The first step is for the search engine robot (crawler) to visit the URL, followed by indexing (if the robot likes the document). After that, it will start the search query ranking and if the algorithm likes it even more and matches the user’s needs it can get to the top of the search results where it can be noticed and go to the site himself.
Funnel to attract search traffic: from crawl to clicks.
In total, to attract your several million users, you need:
- To ensure that the content and distribution of the pages visited, search engine robots Yandex and Google.
- Make sure they like URLs and index them.
- Make sure the user’s needs and the content of the page match.
- Consider basic SEO requirements to rank higher than your competition.
- Attract users from search results and convert impressions to traffic (CTR indicator on search results).
TECHNICAL OPTIMIZATION AND APPROPRIATE STRUCTURE
These two types of work aim to solve the problem of document indexing. If the site is technically optimized and the articles/news/documents are easily accessible, then the goal will be achieved. Alas, this is where the spears of most media break (poor technical condition and poorly designed structure).
Checklist for technical media optimization (send to programmer):
- The site can be accessed by just one spelling of the domain name. From other versions (www / without www / alias) – a 301 redirect is configured.
- There is an adaptive (optimal) version of the site with uniform URLs for users on desktops and portable devices.
- Source code load time and page size do not exceed 700 milliseconds and(a simple estimate, even better for evaluating 200-220KBPageSpeed Insights points).
- HTTPS is used (there is a signed SSL certificate).
- The site does not have links to pages with 40x and 50x server response codes.
- The 404 error page is configured for non-existent documents.
- The last-Modified header is configured and the server returns a 304 response code for a request with If-Modified-Since if the document has not been modified since the specified date.
- The code of the document is “clean” (it does not contain redundant fragments with CSS, JS, or comments).
- If a page on the site is deleted, a 301 redirect is set up from the old URL to the nearest content or the root category.
- Configure a 301 redirect to the only correct version of the URL spelling, with or without a forward slash.
- The XML sitemap is updated (sitemap.xml). The maximum number of links in a single file is 50,000. If necessary, use multiple links.
- Micro-markup is used to indicate the type of material and for the led filAriane.
- Technical subdomains (test and development version, old version, etc.) cannot be indexed.
- Full copies of documents are missing from the search engine index. The best solution is to configure the rel = “canonical” attribute.
- A well-structured checklist (send it to the technical director, the project manager, and the designer):
- All the main sections of the site are accessible with one click from the main page and have end-to-end links.
- NC is used (only by the address of the document, you can understand what the page is dedicated to).
- Each page can only be accessed by one URL.
- Most of the site’s pages are accessible with a maximum of 3 clicks from the main page. Less important – 4-5 clicks, but no more.
- The address of each page on the site is easy to read and contains words that define the topic of the section or page.
- The URL is less than 110 to 130 characters long.
- Internal links with different anchors lead to and from the pages (contextual link).
Everything looks simple and clear, and please note that there aren’t as many items in the checklists, but most sites don’t follow these recommendations. This leads to a decrease in the number of pages in the Yandex and Google index and a significant loss of search traffic.